Thursday, September 24, 2009

Should I exercise if sick? Tebow did.

As I sat down to watch college football on Saturday night with a box of tissues and Vick's Vapor Rub, I was full of self-pity and solitude, watching the Florida Gators game alone because of a head cold.

And then I heard our starting quarterback, Tim Tebow, also had chest congestion.

So, let's see. Tebow's tearing it up on the field with flu-like symptoms while I'm stuck on the couch with the sniffles. That got me to thinking, how do you find the energy to exercise when you're up to your nose in phlegm? Or is it actually healthier to be a coughing couch potato?

Some players took IVs before the game, which can counter dehydration, both from being sick and athletic performance. Side note: Pressures on the University of Florida's baller football team and your personal fitness regime are different, so be sure to take it easy on yourself if you're feeling too sick to sweat.

Next time you find your immune system takes a slap, use Prevention's "neck check". If your congestion is above the neck and you have symptoms such as a runny nose and sore throat, grab that towel and hit the gym. Cardiovascular exercise can help to clear those sinuses, and upping your circulation can counter that feeling of sluggish pity. I know my roommate's tired of hearing, "Waaah, I'm sick.. (sniff)." But be considerate! Use anti-bacterial solution so you leave behind your sweat and not your germs on the gym equipment.

Rule of thumb: If you're feeling a fever, don't even try. You're running a temperature, not the treadmill. Just tuck yourself under the covers and have some soup or more cowbell (see video below for pop culture reference.)

1 comment:

  1. I liked this article. I just stumbled upon the blog link at the bottom of your e-mail. Reading the article reconfirmed my decision in having YOU edit my proposal paper. Thanks a million.

    ReplyDelete